May 10, 2011

Feliz Dia De Las Madres

Today is Mother's Day. Well only to those born of a Mexican, Guatemalan or Salvadorian Mother it is. Being Guatemalan I qualify. Growing up I always thought May 10 was Mother's Day. It wasn't until I was like a teenager that I learned that here, in the US it's the second Sunday in May. So my Mom gets two.

 This is my Mom. I know what you are thinking...yes, this is where I get 50% of my good looks. Seriously, look at that shiny brown hair, the creamy complexion. That wrinkle free face (she's going on 51 by the way), the sweet smile and well you get the point. What else did I get from my Mom? An expensive eye. If you give us a list of items we always end up choosing the most expensive thing, it's really weird. We also seem to have a fascination with bread. While my temper, character and personality are a mix of a little bit of her and a lot of  my Dad's, I'm most like her in that we both are super sensitive. Seriously, we can cry over anything and really easily too.  Movies, news, sad stories, happy stories, commercials, other peoples sad stories and happy stories and anything that has to do with our Dad's. She's also a Daddy's girl.
 
I like looking back at my childhood photos and seeing the cute dresses you hand made for me. I like how I can still ask you to make me a sandwich because I'm too lazy on the couch to make one myself. I love your food, you are the best cook ever! I love how obsessive you get with opening the windows to let the light in, it cracks me up. I love how gullible you can be sometimes, it has provided plenty of laughs for all of us, I think my favorite is still the "magic maxi pads". This is a total inside joke that she would be mortified to know I mentioned on here. I like that my love for shoes was something I probably also inherited from you. I love that you like to dress up and look good, even if you annoy me by asking me to put on some makeup or wear something nicer before I go out the door. I don't love your choice in perfumes, they make me gag, but sometimes when I find a sweater of yours and and the scent has diffused and only a little bit of it lingers that has mixed with your scent, I find it comforting.

Feliz Dia de las Madres, Mami! I love you so much!   

0 lovely comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, go ahead and leave a comment. I enjoy reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
ua-10399482-1