May 13, 2011

13 Random Facts about Friday the 13th

I'm not a very superstitious person. I have on occasion said, "knock on wood" but I'm not even sure where that comes from. Today though, looking at my calendar, I noticed something:

Yes, I mark my days with a pink highlighter and no, I did not get scared because it's Friday the 13th. I did start to wonder, what's the big deal with this date? But instead of giving you all a boring history lesson, here are 13 random "facts" about this date:
  1. If a month begins on a Sunday, there will be a Friday the 13th.
  2. The extreme fear of this date is called:  friggatriskaidekaphobia or paraskevidekatriaphobia. - Personally I like friggatriskaidekaphobia because it sounds friggin cool!
  3. Tupac died on a Friday, September 13th, 1996.
  4. Fidel Castro was born on Friday the 13th, 1926.
  5. President H. Hoover suffered from friggatriskaidekaphobia or paraskevidekatriaphobia or maybe even Triskaidekaphobia (fear of the # 13.)
  6. Today is the only Friday the 13th for 2011 but there will be 3 in 2012.
  7. There is a study by the British Medical Journal called "Is Friday the 13th Bad For Your Health" their conclusion "Friday 13th is unlucky for some. The risk of hospital admission as a result of a transport accident may be increased by as much as 52%. Staying at home is recommended."
  8. There are 12 films in the Friday the 13th Franchise. A 13th film is  supposedly in the works.
  9. According to an old National Geographic article an estimated $800 - $900 billions are lost because people wont fly or do business on Friday the 13th. 
  10. Thomas Lawson wrote a novel about a corrupt broker trying to cause a crash of the stock market using the bad luck associated with Friday and the number 13 titled, Friday, the Thirteenth.
  11. The day Friday is considered unlucky and so is the Number 13 so logically Friday + 13 = Really Unlucky!
  12. The Andes Plane Crash occurred on Friday, October 13, 1972. They were rescued 72 days later.
  13. Creepiest myth associated with this date: If you cut your hair on this date someone in your family will die.
I'm having a lovely day, how about you?

♥always,
Marisol


1 comment:

  1. I did too actually!, but clay not so much..he got a tooth pulled...

    ReplyDelete

Hi, go ahead and leave a comment. I enjoy reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
ua-10399482-1