July 29, 2011

Book or Movie?

Usually when a movie is made from a book it's because the book is pretty darn good or really popular. I have a dilemma. Should I read the book then watch the movie? Or watch the movie then read the book? One thing I've learned is the book is ALWAYS better. There is more room for back story and character development. I've always loved reading. Since I was a child I had the ability to turn the characters, settings and plots into a movie in my head. I can see it as I read it. So for me it never gets boring because it's coming to life. It's like a 3D imagination.

I usually like reading the book before the movie comes out and get really excited when a book I've already read becomes a movie. However, when I do that, I'm always disappointed with the movie. Like seriously disappointed. I invest too much in my imagination and when the movie comes out it falls short and they cut so much from the book that I feel jipped. That's why I'm starting to think, I should watch the movie then read the book. Then there are those times where I watch the movie, thinks it's alright and then read the book and get totally hooked. That is how I became a Twilight fan. Damn proud too!

So here I am about to go see a movie about a book I just finished reading. I'm sure your seen/heard about it. It's called The Help. It takes place in the early sixties in Jacksonville, Mississippi. It tells the story of one young white girl trying to write a book about the black maids that work in whites homes and raise white children while dealing with the whole "separate but equal" BS that was around at that time.


I don't want to be disappointed. I want to love this movie like I loved the book.


I'm going in with high expectations but not expecting the grand movie, complete in depth the way I created in my head. I'm sure I'll love it. Anyone else going to see it? Anyone else read the book? What's your preference, book-movie or movie-book?

♥always,
Marisol

1 comment:

  1. This is EXACTLY why you and I are friends! Had the same debate this weekend about the SAME book. I L-O-V-E-D this book and I know for a fact (spoiler alert: know friends who have seen the movie already) that the movie deters from the book. Sorry Marisol...as a fellow book lover, I had to rip the band-aid off. But I hope you don't give up on reading books before watching the film! Your fellow geek,

    ReplyDelete

Hi, go ahead and leave a comment. I enjoy reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
ua-10399482-1