October 1, 2010

Tiny Room Makeover: The Plan

I have a tiny bedroom. Itty bitty, tiny room. When my family moved into this house there were 3 bedrooms...or so I was told. Long story but I did not see this house until the day we moved in. The "3rd" bedroom was actualy added on to the house and used as nursery. There were even those glow in the dark stars glued to the ceiling. This is what it looks like now:



My choices were to share a room or get a tiny room. I took the tiny room. I shared a room all my life so having a space to call my own, even a 7'x7'7" space, was a big deal to me. Plus the privacy of shutting a door!!! You cant beat that!

I first painted the walls a nice soothing yellow, with green curtains and flowery bed spread to match plus white furniture...it remained like that for about 4 years. One day sometime last year I walked in and realized..."It looks like a nursery in here!"

I wish I had some pictures from those times so you could see what I mean. I immidiately decided to paint and change my color pallet. Make my room more adult looking and modern yet still softly feminine. While scrolling the internet for inspiration I came across this bed spread:


Bam, Wam! I could not stop looking at it. I decided to use the blue for my walls and all the browns I saw were to be incorporated into the room somehow! Done!

So up went the blue paint, the crisp white trim and the dark brown curtains. I began dreaming my entire room in my head. Unfortunately that's as far as the make over went after painting, a dream in my head. So it looks like a boys nursery and I have 2 empty walls, one with a sad old TV I hardly watch anymore...


Another wall that is just...plain...
A a really old, scratched up dresser in the wrong brown color, and a messy, does nothing but collect my junk, book case....


So here's the plan:

  1. Get new furniture that is cohesive and functional. Sell old furniture.

  2. Incorporate more storage via shelves and any means possible.

  3. Find some kind of seating that will work with the space...(tough one)

  4. Create a mural for photo frames and include a map (map will be explained later)

  5. Find a better area rug and some decorating elements.
So that's the plan. 5 simple steps, that I hopefully can complete. Technically phase one of the plan would have been the paint, phase two the curtains and so on but let's start fresh! WooHoo! I've got a project to do! Here is where I should warn you. Every time I take on a problem um... project, Murphy's law will apply.

Here's my dream...


0 lovely comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, go ahead and leave a comment. I enjoy reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
ua-10399482-1