April 13, 2011

What's Your Favorite Scary Movie?

Remember that line? It's from my favorite scary movie. Yup, Scream. Scream 1 to be specific. The not so scary movie is my favorite scary movie because it's the last scary movie I watched.

1997 was a fun and memorable summer, it was the summer between Junior High and High School. Most of that summer I spent it at my best friend's house listening to CD's and watching movies. One day we decided to watch Scream. I was a little apprehensive to watch it but we sat down on opposite sides of the couch and let the show begin. By the end we were almost sitting on top of each other.

Then...her phone rang.

Right as the credits were rolling and the eerie music played, her freaking phone rings?? "Answer it!" said Doreen. "You answer it", I said,  "It's your house!" She picked up the phone and said hello. It was my mother calling to let us know she was picking me up...we were able to breath again. The movie really is not that scary, it's actually more of a thriller/suspense type of movie and even a little funny. Plus you are left trying to figure out who the killer is, I like a good mystery. Also, I say it's educational. I now know that in order to survive in a slasher movie setting I need to follow these 3 rules:
  1. You can never have sex, Sex = Death!
  2. You can't drink or do drugs; they are sins like number #1, duh!
  3. Never, ever, say "I'll be right back."
 Maybe that's why I call it my favorite scary movie, because it really isn't a scary movie. I hate scary movies. I despise horror films. I always say I'm a chicken and I've admitted freely with no shame. I hate the feeling they give me, movies are to entertain me not scare me or leave me feeling disturbed!

But it's deeper than that; it's not just a genre dislike. My dislike/hate/despise comes from a sad place. Back to when I was 6 years old. Being the child of immigrants that had no real friends and family living nearby, I was left with a baby sitter while my parents worked all day. I guess they felt somewhat comfortable that they were leaving me with a friend of a friend that was a mother of 5 and had experience in baby-sitting. I don't really have many memories of that time, or even of that lady. Mostly because I was so young and because I completely believe that I have blocked most of them out. I have three very distinct memories of those days. One involves the movie Freddy Krueger. This lady had 5 kids (from a 7 year-old to a teenager.) They loved scary movies. They asked if I wanted to watch it and taunted that I was too big of a baby to watch it...I of course said I was not a baby and could handle a scary movie. I had never seen one before. My parents didn't watch that stuff. But it was just a movie so how bad could it be?

Well, it was bad. Very bad, I was scared and didn't want to see it anymore. Only the other kids didn't let me go. They forced me to watch it. Literally, they held me down on the couch and covered my mouth so I wouldn't scream. I cried the entire time while they made fun on me. The torment did not end there. The threaten to all beat me up if I told on them. So the terror continued. After Freddy came Jason. Then more tears and nightmares. They finally got bored and stopped forcing me to watch those movies. I never told my parents. To this day, they don't know. It would just make them feel bad. Good thing my Mom got pregnant and became a stay at home mom :)

Buzz kill, huh? Sorry to drag you down. But that's why I don't like scary movies. So my friends, the next time a scary movie rolls around, don't ask me to go. I won't. Maybe I should grow up and face my fears? It's not about that! I know Freddy's not coming for me. It's not about confronting my bullies, or even forgiving them. Watching a scary movie is not going to make me feel any better. It's just going to make me feel crappy, leave me unsettled and feeling something dark in my heart. Those memories don't hurt me anymore, I'm fine now but the trauma they inflicted definitely made me not like scary movies. It's my choice to watch what I want to watch and I choose to NOT watch scary movies. I choose to laugh, to cry, to think, to learn, to dream, to feel like a kid sometimes and specially to see books I've read come to life.

What prompted this sad little story? Seeing the commercials for Scream 4.  I can't help but laugh a little. Seriously...SCREAM 4! Poor Sydney Prescott. How much more can a girl take?

I have decided that this is one "scary" movie I can handle watching, at least for old times' sake with my BFF.  Although I'll still be scared and will need her lap to sit on. Gotta go my phone is ringing. But don't worry I'll be right back.

-Marisol

0 lovely comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, go ahead and leave a comment. I enjoy reading them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
ua-10399482-1